Saturday, December 05, 2009

Birthday Party Day!

Since Austyn and Bennett's birthdays are only 2 weeks (and 2 years, technically) apart, we decided to have a joint birthday party. Princess meets the lion, if you will. I must, however, start at the beginning of birthday party day.

I made B's cake and icing last night. A loves to help bake with me. She truly is a lil' chef in the making. I love it!! The cake is in the oven, so I move onto the buttercream icing. Where is my butter? It was just here.
"Owen, did you put my butter back in the fridge?"
"No."
"Austyn, where is the butter?"
"It's in the car."
And, what do you know, there it was.


This morning, I finished making B's cake- a lion. Isn't he adorable?


Then, it was off to the NOLA library for the Free Beanbag Giveaway.
All children with library cards received a beanbag (actual sized one--not some mini thing) and a free book. Crazy thing- I picked up library card for A and B on our last, regular visit to our library branch. An 11 month old and 3 yr old w/ cards they thought? You betcha. The deal is they need a card, and YOU gave it to us. Hook us up w/ 2 bean bags and 2 books, please!! A picked out a lovely lavender color, and we picked a manly, navy hue for B. These bags are very full. We wanted to get A one for Christmas, but when I heard about this a month ago, I knew we needed to get in on the goods. Yippee!!

On the way back to the car, we passed a closed off grassy park. The main library in in the heart of the business area (ie. city hall). Check out the 'new' signage- very true statement, most likely.

When we arrived home from the library, I made A's birthday party treat- ice cream cone cupcakes. They turned out beautifully and tasted fabulous with my chocolate buttercream icing I whipped up! Don't you just want to reach through the computer screen and grab one!!! Btw, the fabulous pictures come from my new camera. I sold our stroller and some other things to pay for it. My old one just couldn't do this--ever! Amazing picture.

I finished icing the cones with and hour to spare before the party started. We chose to party in the gym since the high today was 50...brrrr! Last year, we did the park anyway. That was a bad idea. Our dear friends the Gilbert's, Mobley's, and Ho's can attest to the bitterness of the weather. Did I mention I was super preggo too, last year? Wow, I'm glad that boy came out when he did. He grows so fast! I digress--Off we went to the gym to set up. I brought some things to do an 'obstacle course' but no one really cared about an organized activity. Thus, we went with play time outside of our homes for the first time in days. It worked wonderfully. Several friends were unable to come due to the wonderful winter illnesses that run rampant in close quarters. We were, however, so blessed to celebrate the lives of A & B with many special friends. Here are some pictures from the party. Enjoy!!

Hula Hoop Jump. Austyn is so athletic that it's scary. Seriously, you just have to see it!










Isn't he so handsome?



She loves those pringles!


Time to open presents. I let Owen do this part because 1. I need to take pics and 2. I have issues with toddler crowd control. Sit down children and LET HER OPEN THE PRESENT. See, this is why he does it. I must repress myself for the good of all :).





Thank you, everyone, for sharing this special day with us!

Tomorrow, I will post pictures of B eating his cake. Good story with GREAT pictures. Get excited!

2 comments:

The Middlecamps said...

I was just talking to Matt about ice cream cupcakes! I had a friend when I was growing up that had them every year for her birthday party! Matt has never had them.

Jen said...

Thank you for inviting Anne Claire -- she had such a good time. Sorry she got in the way when Austyn was opening her presents.