Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Grandpa Ted: Part 2

Amanda posted an incredible tribute to my Grandpa Ted this morning (see below in the previous post), and I want to add a thought of my own.

Grandpa was an extraordinarily ordinary man. By that I mean that we live in a world that worships the flamboyant and extravagant, and yet Grandpa was none of those things. Instead, he worked faithfully as a mechanic, served in the armed forces, loved his wife and family, cared deeply for his church, got excited about going to sporting events (especially when his grandkids were playing, or practicing for that matter), was great at putt-putt, hit extremely accurate pop flys for hours on end, served as an informal driving instructor for his grandkids, never quite got over certain strategic choices made by athletic coaches (especially when those choices affected his grandkids' games), and never met a stranger that he couldn't or wouldn't talk to.

The stories and memories seem like they could flow on without end, but the feeling in my heart remains the same- No neon lights or Broadway banners are needed for this man; instead, something more like Micah 6:8 seems about right: "What does the Lord require of us? But to do justice and to love kindness and to walk humbly with our God." If only I can one day be so ordinary!

1 comment:

Cody Thrasher said...

I'm very sorry to hear of this news, and my thoughts and prayers are definitely with you guys and the rest of the family.

When we were growing up playing sports, I can't think of many games or practices Ted missed. I was around him more than my own grandparents, and he was a great person indeed.