Tuesday, December 19, 2006

First smile, Hungry pics, and stories


WE HAVE A SMILE!!!

Finally, it looks like Austyn is smiling from things other than gas :) . This is an exciting moment for any parent. It's funny how such small things are so exciting. This image was captured as we tried to pose for pictures to send to the grandparents.

Austyn really enjoys being awake! I can't begin to describe how much she hates the process of nodding off to sleep. She fights it sooooo hard! I know that she gets this from Owen b/c I have always been the first to go to bed. I love my sleep. It's too bad that I hardly get any now that Austyn is here.

The first 3 1/2 weeks have been a handful. Our friends, Carisa and Chad, came in from Auburn (Alabama) to visit us this past weekend. It was great getting to have friends feed her, clean our clothes, and let us sleep a little. We haven't had that luxury yet.

Well, Austyn took some of those super cute newborn pics about a week and a half ago. We'll post some when they come in. I have to tell you about the stories of that day, however. I've never thought I would be able to deal with gross things like the umbilical cord (which fell off a few days ago- finally!!) or poopy diapers as a parent. I was wrong. When you're the only one around who can do something, this stuff isn't optional. The day that we were going to go and take pics of Austyn at the photographers is the day that Owen and I demonstrated our true parental 'skills'. She had just finished eating. Owen was at work. I go to burp her, and she let a belch rip. Well, a few seconds later she spits up. This isn't any spit up. I'm wearing a v-neck t-shirt, and she spewed A LOT of milk down into my shirt. It's disgusting, may I say. However, she starts to fall asleep right afterwards, so I'm not going to wake her up. About 3o minutes later, she is finally asleep for naptime and my bra is still holding all of her spit up. Nasty!!!

Owen got to enjoy Austyn from 'both ends' later in the day at the photo shoot. The pics required her to not have a diaper on. Now, we were expecting a 'surprise' at some point b/c of the no diaper situation. Well, she decides about 30 minutes into the photo to cover Owen in pee along with the background she is on. No biggy- we can deal with this (although, Owen is soaked and we didn't bring extra clothes). At the end of the shoot, the photo lady wanted to take a pic of Owen holding her bottom. Right after she finished taking a picture, Owen felt something warm in his hand. You guessed it-- she dropped a little present into his hand. Now, what do you do if you're him? Do you wash it off in the sink or shake it into the toilet? It's a toss up, I know.

Needless to say, Austyn has broken us in very quickly. We think that she has acquired all of the bad traits from both of us and is choosing to display them continually to us. For example, she screams if she doesn't get fed right when she wants food (Amanda). She doesn't sleep ever and cries constantly (Owen). The bad gas---well, we're both to blame for that! :)

So, life in the Nease's tiny New Orleans apartment is very exciting yet totally monotonous right now. We look forward to the day when she might decide that a routine is a great idea. Although, the strong-willed personality (Amanda) of Austyn isn't showing any signs of consession.

For fun, here are two pics of Austyn. The left pic is of Austyn wishing her nana and papa a 'happy anniversary'. The right pic is of Austyn eating the sign b/c she wants food now, and 'cute' time is over, people!!!





No comments: