
When I first spotted this banner upon our move back to New Orleans, I knew we had to have one!! (Thanks to Kathy and Kate for hooking us up.)

It's crazy to think that it has been one year since Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast with her mighty winds. The city of New Orleans is trying to rebuild, but, sadly, most of the devastation is in residential areas. Most people cannot afford to gut their homes, possibly raise the foundation of their homes up 10+ feet, and come back to a city that is trying to become fully functioning.
Today, the city is having several memorials in honor of the 1700+ lives lost along the Gulf Coast due to Hurricane Katrina. As I look at our school, one of the few establishments almost completely rebuilt, it is exciting to think of what our God has in store for this city. The seminary truly in a light in the darkness (figuratively and literally).

At the right, you can see a picture of our church, Edgewater
Baptist Church. We have been out of our tent and inside the air conditioned building for the past 2 weeks. It is incredible to think of how much I have taken air conditioning for granted in the past. Now, we are waiting for tiling and plumbing. May I just say that our baby has recently discovered a fun toy (a.k.a.-my bladder) to press her little hands into. And, each Sunday and Wednesday I am hoping
that she will be sweet to me and not send me running outsideto the port-o-potty. No one in their right mind would sit down
on one of those things. Being pregnant hasn't helped the
concept of "squatting" much either.
This past Sunday, we had over 200 people crammed into our tiny "sanctuary"/meal room. God is drawing people to Himself in the midst of what looks to our human eyes to be utter devastation. Yet, I know that my thoughts are not His thoughts. Thus, we wait expectantly for God to continue to bring glory to His Name in the city. He alone can rebuild this city. God alone!
Today, the seminary cancelled all classes and closed most of the offices in order to train students, faculty, and staff for disaster relief. Here's Owen in his great looking shirt!! He went with my to my doctor's appointment, so he got a ginormous sized shirt. I think it would swallow me even when I'm 9 months pregant. Anyways, everyone GETS to wear one of these beauties as they go out into the community today to gut out homes, evangelize, prayer walk, etc. I'm excited to hear about the stories people tell when they come back later this afternoon. Being pregnant, I decided to stay back because it's too hot and humid for me to be outside on my feet for long periods of time anymore. I might have tried to get out their earlier in pregnancy, but being in the third trimester, I'm getting tired a little bit faster than I used to. It's like something is growing inside of me. Crazy, huh?!

This is our apartment building. This is our living room. This is our bedroom.
Pictures of the baby's room will come when we get it decorated (sorry, mom-you have to wait!). It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with a laundry room. I know Owen and I will be using this room alot when our baby girl comes into the world!


So, here are belly pics as of today (28 weeks and a few
days). The pic of the left is a full profile. Now, don't say I'm small for the third trimester. At the doctor's office today, I measured right where I am supposed to be. The pic on the right makes me look much larger than I am. Now, I now it's ok to have bigger belly when you get pregnant. But, there is no reason that I still can't pick the best pic of myself. It's my blog!! Anyways, every woman nitpicks at her pictures to get JUST the right angle of herself. You know it's true ladies!!
Oh, lastly, Owen and I met with a midwife today. The doctor we met previously down here would be great if we wanted an epidural. But, I don't, so she wasn't the doc for us. The midwife was awesome!!! I don't think we could have met a better person to go through the rest of this pregnancy and, eventually, labor with. She is a Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM). So, she's been a nurse before. Apparently, she has over 20 years of experience as a CNM. I'm pretty sure that she totally beats the experience of both of my previous doctors combined. For real, she been helping ladies have babies since I was in preschool. Anyways, we were both very excited after meeting with her. Thank you for your prayers on this subject for us. God was more than faithful (once again) to provide for us in a way that exceeded our expectations. Praise be to Him!

No comments:
Post a Comment