Austyn turned 1 on Nov. 25th. It's hard to believe how much our lives have changed in the course of a year! We were in New Orleans when she arrived into the world. Now, we live in Stillwater,Ok. Yes, that's a HUGE difference in location. I am fully reminded of this on a daily basis. I miss the Big Easy and all of its diversity. There was so much vitality in a city that was struggling to recover from Hurricane Katrina. People were raw and authentic. If they didn't like you, they let you know. Adjusting back to a Bible-belt mentality of 'Southern hospitality' has been odd. Don't get me wrong, people in NOLA had the hospitable streak. There was just something different about that place. It was so unlike anything I have known before and since, and I loved every minute of the craziness. God's faithfulness seemed the most evident to me in that city. Maybe I miss it for those reasons, maybe not.
Anyways, back to the big 1st birthday. She loved her cake. We haven't let her eat sweets really until cake time. Hopefully, we can keep from loving them like we do as long a possible. Keeping them out of the house is helpful for all 3 of us. Owen and I both forgot to charge the camcorder and camera batteries. We got most of the cake event recorded, and we have relied on the pictures of my parents to fill in the missing places.
Let me detail the event to you. I set her personal cake (a 4" covered in pink icing) in front of her. As I tried to light the candle, she began to lean forward in her high chair attempting to touch the cake. I would move it a bit, and she would lean forward just a smidge more until her tiny finger was enveloped in icing. After the song, her had gently touched the cake and brought the icing to her mouth. Once she tasted the sweet goodness, those hands took their time to pick up icing slowly but surely and deposit it on her tongue. At one point, I move the cake to the edge of the plate and place my hand behind her head. Now, I know what you're thinking. No, I didn't smash her face in the cake. I merely guided her head to do what I knew she was capable of. The sweet face of my now toddler took a full on bite out of the well-iced cake. It was glorious!

6 comments:
Great pics! so cute! Happy 1 year Austyn!
Those are too cute!! Happy Birthday Austyn!!
I'm quite a bit late, but happy b-day Austyn nonetheless. :)
I hope things are going well with you and your family in Stillwater, the orange and black country I love so much!
Keep us updated.
I love Austyn.
Happy Birthday!! He is such a doll! :)
Yeah, Travis was holding our video camera during the ultrasound. We recorded the whole thing, but only posted the "exciting" part. HA!
Post a Comment