So, I'll have to post pics later today of our adventure in Baton Rouge from Labor Day. Owen and I went on a baby buying spree after realizing we are in the third trimester and have ABSOLUTELY no way to bring our baby girl home from the hospital in a few months. It really is a shock to the mind to try and imagine life with a new, little person around. Owen found this Fisher Price Aquarium swing thingy while we were shopping. I think he wishes it was his size! It was so cute watching him get excited about swinging our little girl. Love that man!!
Side note- for those remembering my diploma dilemma, the school mailed it --- back to OKLAHOMA where we used to live. I updated our info, but that was apparently overlooked. So, my Master diploma is somewhere in the US postal system. I'll let you know when it finally "arrives"!
Well, on Friday, Owen and I decided to finally get our rears in gear and buy a crib. So, we head off to Babies R Us (since Target and Walmart in New Orleans don't have cribs--what's up with that?). Anyways, I've done all this research before going into the store. We check out the floor model of the crib we're considering and decide "this is the one". This is when I wish we still had Owen's truck. So, we buy the huge thing. Mind you, it's much smaller than all of the other monster-sized cribs in that place. It barely manages to fit through the trunk of our Focus and into the back seat. Side note- We never really gave much attention to the car salesman when he was showing us how to put down the backseats in the Focus. Let's just say Owen and I looked extremely intelligent to the guy helping us load our car at that moment.
Continuing with the story-- We get home and put the crib together in about 20 minutes. Pretty impressive, we think. Well, when you attached the drop rails on this crib, you have to push in a safety lever first. The thing never popped back out!!! So we put on the other rail. Can you guess what happened? Same thing- you guessed it. I think I had a pregnancy fiesty moment. I told Owen that Babies R Us was going to take back our jacked up crib b/c I wasn't going to be coherent enough to gently drop down the side rail without a side rail with an infant screaming at me at 3 am. No way! Well, my wonderful husband patiently takes apart our "hard work", repacks the crib in the box, moves the box back down the stairs outside our apartment by himself (b/c he won't let me help), and loads it in the car. Did I mention that the side of the crib box said "team lift"? Apparently, Owen is so strong that he is his own team. I was just part of the cheering team all this time.
So, we get to BRU and they ask what's wrong with the crib. Dilemma- tell them it's broken and they tell me that I can't return it and I'll have to send off the the company for a new HEADBOARD or do what I did- say "Well, got home, put it together, and it's NOT what we wanted." I was very kind, but the fiesty juice I apparently had that day wasn't going to return home with that broken crib. We wanted a refund!! By the way, we got it.
We go to pick out a new crib, having learned the lesson that cheaper isn't always better! Ouch, that's a lesson we don't like. But, our tiny car won't fit any other crib in it. So, we return the next day (Sunday) with our friend's truck, buy another crib that is far more excellent than its predecessor, and bring it home. It took about 30 minutes to get put together, and it's more beautiful than the previous crib by far!! So, lesson learned here--- go with your gut, drink some fiesty juice, and get your money's worth out of what you pay for. I think I would make Owen's granddad proud. He apparently would have done the same thing, except, according to tall tales, he would have been paid to leave the store. We didn't have that adventure exactly, but momma didn't raise no pushover!!!
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
Miss you guys
DEBRA JOHNSON
Post a Comment